Five Great Identity Theft Resources
March 30, 2012
Jacqueline here with AllClear ID. I recently performed a Google search on identity theft, and more than 41 million results were available. Information is power, but too much information can be overwhelming. We’ve talked about the best identity theft resources countless times, so here is a roundup of 5 great ones today, because 5 is a lot easier to read than 41 million!
- AnnualCreditReport.com: In July we talked about getting your free credit yearly credit report from AnnualCreditReport.com. This helpful website is still one of the best free resources for identity theft prevention available online. It is the only website authorized to provide your free yearly credit report from all three credit reporting agencies. It just takes a few minutes to enter in your identifying information before gaining access to your free report. You can get all three reports at once or can access one report at a time over the course of a year; it’s up to you.
- FTC Identity Theft Microsite: The Federal Trade Commission provides a very comprehensive identity theft site offering information to business owners, consumers and law enforcement. You will find information about protecting your identity, defending against identity attacks if your information is compromised and repairing the damage should identity theft occur. You can also file an FTC identity theft complaint and order identity theft resources for community programs.
- Identity Theft Resource Center: We talk about the Identity Theft Resource Center often here at AllClear ID; check out a past post mentioning ITRC here. They are a wonderful resource for identity theft information and help. Many identity theft sites focus solely on financial identity theft, but not the Identity Theft Resource Center. This site offers information about many types of identity theft including child identity theft, smart phone security, medical identity theft and even social networking concerns. They have resources for consumers, businesses and law enforcement.
- AVG Free: Bo talked about the 3 Keys to Online Identity Theft Protection in this May 2011 post. One of his tips included making sure that your antivirus software is current and up to date. There are many great antivirus programs out there. Do your research and find the best fit for your browsing style. AVG Free offers basic antivirus protection.
- OptOutPrescreen.com: Our July 2011 post about opting out of junk mail and prescreened credit offers great tips for protecting your identity. OptOutPrescreen.com is the official site for the credit reporting industry that allows you to opt in or out of pre-screened offers. Opting out here will significantly reduce the amount of junk mail you receive and can help to protect your identity.